Saturday, May 12, 2012

Homemade Sausage Brats

I saw this recipe on diners, drive ins and dives called jalapeno sausage.  The recipe is suppose to be wrapped in corn husks and smoked in a smoker.  I grilled them on a grill and called them a brat.  They were very good and full of flavor. I have some meat mixture left over, so tomorrow I am going to smoke them in corn husks and see how they turn out.  I will add them to my blog if they turn out good from smoking them.
       

16 corn husks
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1 tablespoon crushed black peppercorns
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 cup chopped and seeded jalapeños
  • 1/2-ounce chicken base dissolved in 2 ounces cold water
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
  • 2 1/2 pounds coarsely ground pork butt

Heat a smoker or grill to 250 degrees F.
Soak corn husks in warm water for 15 minutes. Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a large bowl and add the ground pork. Combine well. Add the other ingredients. Put approximately 6 ounces of the sausage mixture 8 of the open wet corn husks. Put another corn husk on top and wrap and tie each end with string. Smoke until the sausage temperature reaches 160 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer. Transfer the husks to a serving platter and serve.
If you are going to grill them, omit the corn husk and form them and grill until done. 


PRINTABLE RECIPE

I had my local butcher shop coarse grind my pork butt.
 I chopped 1/4 cup of jalapeño
then I added them to my food processor and minced them smaller
I added all the dry spices in a bowl then added them to the pork
This is the chicken base I used.  I added 1 Tbls of this and blended in 1 Tbls of water, mixed them together then added it to the pork.
 I formed them and grilled them




1 comment:

  1. Thank you Brenda! I saw the show and was looking for a recipe. Forgot to write down. Will be making with venison/pork/poblano pepper this weekend. More later. Will

    ReplyDelete

Chicken and Cabbage Soup

I saw this recipe online. I changed a few things around. I love soup with cabbage. 1 cup diced white onion 4 cloves minced garlic 5 cups shr...