Monday, February 27, 2012

Taco Soup

I found this recipe on the web a long time ago and have changed up the ingredients to my liking.  You have to put in the hominy, it is my favorite in this recipe so don't omit this.  If you like corn you will like hominy.  I buy the white hominy for this soup because the corn is yellow and the white gives it more color.  This is one of my favorite recipes to make.  I have made it a million times, I think it is better than chili.  You can top the soup with sour cream, shredded cheese, onions and tortilla chips if you want.  We just eat it plain, you don't need all that stuff on top.  This recipe freezes well.  
1 lbs ground beef lean
1 onion, chopped
11 oz can Hominy (you can drain and rinse or not)
11 oz can corn (don't drain)
15 oz can black beans (drained and rinsed)
15 oz can pinto beans (drained and rinsed)
1 can diced tomatoes with green peppers and onions
1 can rotel tomatoes
1 package ranch style dressing mix
1 package taco seasoning
1 cup water or more to make soup consistency

Saute meat and onions in a saucepan. 
In a large pot or crock pot mix remaining ingredients 
Add the meat and onions to the pot
simmer for 30 minutes or crock pot low for 3 hours

To make it more spicy you can add 1 can (4ounces) of diced jalapeños
or add in fresh jalapeños or habanero.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Chicken and Cabbage Soup

I saw this recipe online. I changed a few things around. I love soup with cabbage. 1 cup diced white onion 4 cloves minced garlic 5 cups shr...