Sunday, March 4, 2012

Crusty Bread requires No Kneading


1/2 packet active yeast
8 oz warm water
1/2 tsp sugar
2 1/4 cups flour (287 grams, I measured)

3/4 tsp salt (I had course kosher salt)

put water in a large bowl, sprinkle with sugar and stir
sprinkle in the yeast on top of the water.
let it bloom for 10 mins.
add some of the flour and stir
stir in the rest of the flour. 
cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 1 1/2 hours or until double in size.
use floured hands and pound down dough.
Put it in a 8 inch cast iron pan greased with olive oil.
cover with plastic wrap, and let rise until doubles again. around 1 hour or longer or less. depends on how warm/cold your house is.

preheat oven to 400 degrees.
take plastic wrap off
put olive oil on top with any seasonings you would like. salt, pepper, garlic oct
bake for 30 mins until crusty.


The bread below was made in my new bread pan (you can see it in the background) I bought from Breadtopia.com
here is the link:   http://www.breadtopia.com/store/la-cloche.html
It was pricy but worth the money.  In this recipe I made 1 1/2 times the no kneed bread recipe below.  Next time I will double the recipe and see if I get a bigger loaf.
 
more bread in my bread pan.  I made it into balls.  It was made with the recipe below.  I didn't double it.  When it was done you could just rip off the pieces and eat them. Yum!


Not only can you make bread from this recipe you can make pizza dough.  


Crusty Bread requires no kneading
3 cups unbleached white flour
1 3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 tsp yeast (I used the jar of quick rise yeast)
1 1/2 cup of warm water
Whisk together the flour, salt and yeast in a large bowl it will sit in for 12-18 hours.
Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the water.  
Slowly stir in the flour little by little until it is mixed.  
It will be a sticky mess. 
Now just leave it alone, cover it with plastic wrap and place on your counter top for 12-18 hours or longer until you can use it. 
This is what it will look like after 12-18 hours sitting on your counter with plastic wrap on top.
Next put the dough on a well floured surface.  With floured hands or even olive oil on your hands and pat the dough into a ball and cover with plastic wrap to rest and let rise for 2 hours.  Pre heat your oven to 450 degrees with the pan pre heating in the oven also for 30 minutes. 
Bake for 30 minutes with a LID ON

This is what it looks like after 30 minutes of baking with the lid on.

Now take the lid off and bake for another 10-15 minutes.  I baked my bread for 15 minutes with the lid off and I think it was too dark.  Next time I will only cook for 10 minutes.  After it sat on the counter and cooled the outside did soften a little bit and wasn't so hard. 
This is what it looks like when it is done. Yum!

I made pastrami and banana pepper pizza.
All you do is after the no kneed dough has sat on your counter for 12-18 hours, flour a surface and your hands and roll it into your pizza dough and add your favorite toppings.  Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes. 



No Knead Bread

1 packet active yeast
2 cups warm water
1 tsp sugar
4 1/2 cups flour (574 grams, I measured)
1 1/2 tsp salt (I had course kosher salt)

add in:
dried rosemary I just put in as much as I thought looked good

Bloom the yeast: add the packet to the warm water with the sugar. Let sit for 10 minutes or until yeast starts to foam.  If it doesn't foam you got your water too hot and killed the yeast. You will have to start over.  If it didn't foam after 10 minutes, and your water was too cool you will have to wait longer for it to activate.  

Mix together the flour and salt and rosemary if you are using it. 

Once the yeast is activated, add some of the flour mixture to the yeast and water. Stir with wooden spoon. 

Keep adding flour little by little and stir in-between until all the flour is used.

The dough will be sticky. 

Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it rise for 1 hour or until it doubles in size.  Depends on how warm or cold your house is. 

oil your pan with olive oil. Preferably a cast iron pan or stone. 

Once doubled in size, put flour on your hands and punch down the dough and move it to your pan. 

Let raise until it doubles in size. Mine took around 1 1/2 hours. 

Brush with olive oil (seasoning on top is optional)

bake with the lid on 400 degrees for 30 mins. Take the lid off and cook another 15-17 mins until golden brown on top. 

If you don't have a lid, just bake it for 45-47 mins

I brushed the top of my dough with olive oil and seasonings before I put it in the oven.  










No comments:

Post a Comment

Chicken and Cabbage Soup

I saw this recipe online. I changed a few things around. I love soup with cabbage. 1 cup diced white onion 4 cloves minced garlic 5 cups shr...